Monday, July 31, 2006

Weekend of FO !

Well, this was the weekend of FOs.

First off, I finally finsihed the socks that just wouldn't end. I am really happy with how they turned out. However, they were a lot of work. Of course, if I paid better attention to them, they could have been done sooner.... The pattern wasn't hard. But, it just took a while. It started as a simple *P4, C4b* ever 4th row. But, then, I decided it would look better, if I alternted the cables. So it quickly became:
Rnd 1: *P4, K4, P4, K4*
Rnd 2: *P4, C4B, P4, K4*
Rnd 3: *P
4, K4, P4, K4*
Rnd 4: *P4, K4, P4, C4B*

It's not a hard pattern. But, at 10 sts/in on size 0s with a 10 in around foot, it just takes a lot of time. And, of course, the cable needles don't come small enough to use with size 0s, so I had to use a tapistry needle as my cable needle. All in all, I really like them. But, it will be a while before I do another all over cable pattern. Next cabled socks will likely just have a cable or two for accent, not completely covered in cables.


So, the socks were done Saterday night. As some of you know, I have been working on my first ever lace project. A simple shawl. The idea when I started it was to wear it to a wedding this weekend. I was going along. I have no idea how much it will grow when blocked. But, I thought I was at about 42-44 inches wide. (It's lace so it's kinda scrucnhed up on some 29in long ciruclar needles. So I didn't know exactly how long it was. ) I was going ot keep working on it every day until Thursday when I would cast off since I need it on Saterday, and i would just pray it was wide enough.

Then, my dear friend, Esther, was in town for the day. She is a wonderful person, and an experinced lace knitter. Durring the hang out she mentioend that it was a strechy pattern, and should grow about three inches for every inch. So, then thinking it would grow to 126 in, I decided it was time to cast off right away. That's huge ! Well, the cast off was a huge pain. I'm a tight knitter, and I knew if I screwed up the cast off, the shawl wouldn't block right. So, Sunday night, I sat down and slowly and carefully cast off the shawl. After the cast off, I mesured the shawl,and it's almsot 60 inches accross the top. I really hope Esther's estime is a bit off. 180 inches is way to big !

Now, I have to block the shawl. I'm so nervous about screwing it up. My first lace blocking! Thankfully, Esther gave me some tips on how to block lace.

Pictures of the shawl will have to wait until another post.

You know... Now that I think about it, maybe Esther ment it will grow one inch for every three. That falls more in line with what I keep reading on line. Maybe I misunderstood her. Which given my excitment to see her, is probley what happoned. Then, it would be about 80 inches accross which makes sence...

Well, we'll know in a few days when I block.

2 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Good luck with the blocking.

If it is lace, I add about 1/3 to the width across the top. If it is 60, it will probably 80-90 inches across the top.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Matt Croydon said...

My feet are on the internet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home